Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Goodnight America

Aug 30th 2006
Aug 30th 2006,
originally uploaded by Padrone.

I'm standing at a traffic light somewhere in West LA

Waiting for the sign to change then I'll be on my way

The noise, the heat, the crush of cars

Just drives me up my nerve

And someone yells and blasts their horn

And pins me to the curb...

And I'm driving into Houston on a rain slick Texas road

Land so flat and skies so dark, I say a prayer to float

Should all at once the San Jacinto surge beyond its banks...

I'm a stranger here, no one you would know

I'm from somewhere else, but isn't everybody though

Don't know where I'll be when the sun comes up

Until then sweet dreams, and goodnight America

~~~~~~~~
...and goodnight August moon

I thank you for your nightly beauty

and the winks from above.

I look forward to the change in seasons

and the beauty of your Fall harvest moons.

~~~~~~

Song lyrics by Mary Chapin Carpenter

and yes, she actually did write about Houston

and when it rains the San Jacinto River

is known to surge beyond it banks in a matter of minutes!

Ciao to the month of August--my least favorite

as the heat here can be so brutal. Thankfully, the

winds from the south will be slowly replaced by the North winds.

Thanks to Padrone for his wonderful photo.

2 comments:

Junniper, MPA said...

Yes, good-bye to August! And hello to fall! And our birthdays arriving soon! :)

bella said...

The winds are sure kicking up today here. Have a great weekend!