Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Nuevo Mexico (Part 1)


Nuevo Mexico(Luz)
Originally uploaded by mRio.
This had been about my third trip to New Mexcio and regretably each visit has been very short and this past trip/vacation was only about a 48 hour stay! Much too short! :-( However, we (Mario & I) packed a lot into our trip.

Friday morning 8/6, we flew into Albuquerque and rented a car for the drive up to Santa Fe, and Mario was my co-pilot providing me with directions the old fashioned way--map reading! NO GPS here! Instead it was an MPS! ;-)

We spend the early afternoon at the usual tourist locale in Santa Fe--the Plaza Square. The weather couldn't have been better! Cool, crisp, blue skies with intermittant clouds, rain and temps in the low 70's! AHHHH!!! No heat and humidity! We were both in heaven. We found a great little cafe to enjoy a wonderful cup of Cafe Amaretto and it just happened that our server was from Texas and wearing a UT cap. He was all to happy to chat with a fellow Texan. I would've loved to go back for another cup of coffee the day after and the day after that and so forth! As we walked the Plaza we accidently found the Santa Fe School of Cooking of which our fellow fanmenco Kym had always talked about. The aroama from that stairway was to die for and how I would've loved to take a walk through the school. Next time! So c'mon Kym, we'll be waiting for you to join us!

Maria's New Mexican Restaurant (voted Best in Santa Fe--11 years in a row) was our next stop for a late lunch! What a lunch and the restaurant boasts of the "Great Margarita List" with over 100 Margaritas to choose from! Decisions, decisions! I decided to try the Pomengranate Margarita, which is made with 100% fresh pomengranate juice and Cuervo Gold tequila which is blended to smooth perfection and frozen! As Kym would say, WOW! Maria's Margarita list, stated it was one of the healthiest margaritas to drink--so how could I resist! BTW, I conveniently brought the list home with me as a souvenir and will tuck it away in my LE box. If I lived in Santa Fe, I would be sure to go back every week and try a different margarita! Thanks for the recommendation, Ottmar!

6 comments:

mario said...

Thanks for the memories. I loved your margarita. Those cookbooks at the Santa Fe School of Cooking look yummi!

Just Me said...

Fanmenco gathering at the Santa Fe Cooking School? We could time it with an Ottmar Liebert concert. :-)

Kym. said...

...and yes, I'd say WOW!
Ooooooohhhh.... WOW!!
:)))))
Kym.

Borya said...

I'm one of the few people left who dislikes GPS bcz I adore map reading!!

qaminante said...

Santa Fe is on my list of must-visit places - one day! Sounds like a great trip.

bella said...

Glad to hear you had such a lovely time :)