Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Between Here and Gone

Up above me,
Wayward angels,
A blur of wings and grace.
One for courage,
One for safety,
One for "just in case"

Tonight, the moon came out, it was nearly full.
Way down here on earth, I could feel it's pull...
is it the weight of gravity or just the lure of life

I thought a light went out, but now the candle shines.
I thought my tears wouldn't stop, then I dried my eyes.
And after all of this, the truth that holds me here,
Is that this emptiness is something not to fear.
Yeah, I'll keep wondering how we know where we belong,
After all the journeys made, and the journeys yet to come.
When I feel like giving up instead of going on,
Somewhere in between here and gone.

Lyrics by Mary Chapin Carpenter
and in memoriam of lives lost from Hurricane Katrina
and for those souls still living and trying to rebuild their lives in the aftermath of that terrible storm.
Linked photo by Lindac928

2 comments:

bella said...

Truly awesome. Thank you for this.

Junniper, MPA said...

Thanks for posting this. I got really frustrated yesterday because my local news website had a poll that asked "Will the gulf coast ever fully recover from Katrina?" and over 70% responded "no." What kind of attitude is that to have? It's our spirit and our drive that will rebuild--we are not ones to give up so easily, are we?