Friday, December 03, 2004

For Women...

Meditations
For Women Who Do Too Much

What I am looking for is not “out there”. It is "in" me.

Solitude is not a luxury. It is a right and a necessity

It is sometimes frightening to trust my intuition.
It is always disastrous not to trust it.

Knowing when to quit may be my greatest victory.

It is not possible to live a rich, full life without friends.
I have to be one to have one.

Sometimes we just think too much.

No one else will arrange any quiet time for me.
I have to see to it myself.

When we see how funny we are,
We see how dear we are.
by Anne Wilson Schaef
I came across this some years back and actually it's on a framed poster in my office. Admittedly, when I first bought it some 15 years ago I didn't buy into the whole poem but over the years, I finally got it! Many women and men go searching for others to make their life complete. Well, my life is complete but I would like to have a partner who will complement my life. I don't think that's asking too much. Solitude is one of my biggest luxuries these days and I almost feel guilty when I hear other women who yearn for it. Knowing when to quit has become my greatest assett. After earning my Master's, I'm always asked if I will pursue my Ph.D., the answer is no. My Masters degree continues to be my sweetest victory I have earned and I'm content with that memory and seeing my name on my diploma when I walk into my office every work day. I am so thankful for my friends for they have pushed me and believed in me when I didn't believe in myself. I have a small circle of friends that I treasure and they know who they are but with the upcoming holiday season I will make it a point to thank them again.

3 comments:

MT Callahan said...

My wife will be seeing this. Thanks!

Kym. said...

Thanks, Luz!
Hm... I think I will print this out and put it next to my PC. (But the thing is: having read this, I started to think again...)
Kym.

Milton said...

Thanks luz for your visits. As an older American, I am thankful that some of our future leaders, such as yourself, have the kindness that shows in your writing. Your photo will tempt the hollywood crowd, you'al stay on course though.