Thursday, November 11, 2004

Fallen Hero


Fallen Hero
Originally uploaded by nieve44.

Cpl. Tomas Sotelo Jr. Houston, Texas

Music: The Sound of Silence, Mood: Somber

"In the eyes of his superiors, Cpl. Tomas Sotelo Jr. was a guiding light for his unit. Sotelo, 22, of Houston died June 27, 2003, in a rocket-propelled grenade attack in Iraq. He was the son of Tomas and Benancia Sotelo". He was the first Houston casualty of the Iraq war.
I wanted to give honor to our vets on this Veterans Day. While I never met Tomas, I knew his mother who was one of my students in the past in college. I haven't spoken to her since her son died partly because I'm not sure what to say and it's been years since I've seen her. Nonetheless, my heart aches for her loss and the loss of all vets and their families who have served our country. May we never forget that some gave all!

1 comment:

Kym. said...

Nobody would know what to say to a mother who lost her child. Especially when she lost her child somewhere far away... I say I can feel her sadness, but can I really? Her loss and sadness are much too much for me to imagine, I guess.

With folded hands,
Kym.

P.S.
My knowledge of English is not enough to express what I want to say here. If I say something strange, please excuse me for it.