Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Blowing Smoke

Music: U2-How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
Mood: upbeat

A few blogs back I talked about "Crunch Time" well now that we're in the month of November, it's "smoke time". Fortunately, this kind of smoke is not dangerous to your health unless it's below freezing. I'm talking about the smoke that comes out of one's mouth in cold weather. Can you feel it? I finally did-tonight! Oh, what a feeling as I walked my dog this evening...I took in that first breath of cool, crisp cold air and breathed out--gleefully "blowing smoke" from my mouth. FINALLY, tonight was cold enough. In the past few weeks that it's been cold, there wasn't any smoke coming out. :-( Thus, I waited and waited while others like Boris and Kym and Ottmar blogged about their cold winter experiences of 1st snows of the season and warm crackling fires in the fireplace. I could only hope that my time would arrive soon. Appropriately, it did arrive on the eve of the Thanksgiving holiday and with a full moon in the night sky. Unfortunately, living in the south the cold weather doesn't last for long but for tonight and the next few night's, I'm thankful for blowing smoke and for another moment that took my breath away.

3 comments:

Kym. said...

Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Enjoy the "smoke" and clear, crisp winter!
:-)
Kym.

Victor said...

That's funny Luz! I figured it only got cold enough to "blow smoke" down there maybe once in 10 years! Having grown up in a colder climate I never thought of that phenomena as being novel - but I guess it's kind of fun if it doesn't happen very often. Enjoy!

Borya said...

When I was a teenager I had to go to school by train. In wintertime we always waited for the train to arrive at a quarter to 7. It was still dark and icy cold. Not only that we blew smoke but the wings of our noses sticked together when breathing. And when the train marched on, it threw sparks from the power lines. Needless to say that I loved it.
Experienced something similar in Russia. But there it was taken on an even more intense level. Never had to fight such a cold as in the Far East. You should have seen how my skin was tortured although I was quite well dressed.