Wednesday, March 29, 2006

A Place in the World

What I'm looking for, after all this time
Keeps me moving forward, trying to find it
Since I learned to walk all I've done is run
Ready, on my mark, doesn't everyone
Need a place in the world
Could be right before your very eyes
Just beyond a door that's open wide
Could be far away or in your own backyard
There are those who say, you can look too hard
For your place in the world
Takes some of us a little longer
A few false starts gonna make you stronger
When I'm sure I've finally found it
Gonna wrap these arms all around it
Could be one more mile, or just one step back
In a lovers smile, down a darkened path
Friends will take our side, enemies will curse us
But to be alive is to know your purpose
It's your place in the world
~~~~~~~
A beautiful song by the great Mary Chapin-Carpenter and these words seems to fit the mood for the evening. About a year ago, I thought I had found my place in the world (far away) and I was all set to walk down that path but then an unexpected detour (my own backyard) was thrown my way. Initially, I was frustated and excited at the same time. The short detour has been full of twists and turns but also ironic and uncanny. I'm a creature of habit and when someone moves my cheese (just like that book) I get anxious and scared. The light at the end of the new path was so bright and my first reaction was to turn out the lights. Regretably, it's been difficult to find the light switch again in the darkness but a few false starts have made me stronger. But like those characters in the book, I have to find my own way down my own darkened path and into my place in the world...and when I do, I hope that door is still opened wide. When I'm sure I finally found it, I'm gonna wrap my arms around it!

2 comments:

bella said...

Great lyrics. I've read that book and know what you mean. May you be blest with finding your place which will bring you joy and peace of mind :)

qaminante said...

If the bright light is still there, I hope you find the lightswitch, and if it's gone out, I hope you find another one... I think most of us are basically stumbling about in the dark, but curiosity keeps us on the path (that and all the entertainments life offers us along the way!).