Thursday, July 30, 2009

God's Own Open Road


God's Own Open Road
Originally uploaded by Nieve44/La Luz
Somewhere "neath a darkened sky
A weary heart and a lonesome eye
Tracks along an empty highway
Lead to somewhere else

All my past and all my wishes
Tears reflect on muddy ditches
My own mind is searching for
An answer from the eyes that look right back

I want to know about the outer reaches
Everything that heartbreak teaches
questions of survival that in every soul exist
What about the endless sky
What about the child that wants to know just why
The world spins round and people die
And does it hurt, well baby so do I

Walking/(biking) on the streets I've known
along a place that I once called home
A stranger now...another time
That doesn't want me back

Poems(songs) in my native tongue
Whisper where I used to run
The river brushing by a shore
That knew it all along

Here I stood and there I dreamed
of future bright as magazines
Without the shades of sorrow in between
Where we've been and what we've seen
Are we taught or are we teaching
Reaching, seeking, needing, preaching,
Pleading, speeding, screeching to a halt

Cattle guards and power lines
Mark the distance of our times
Like wheels that roll and bells that toll
Of hours and aging wine

Love we gave and love we made
Gone astray and then forgave
Naked as a masquerade
for truth to figure out

Voices shout and voices sing
Words slip out and some stay in
in symphonies that live within the pockets of our soul
Colors of the open sea
Paint the edges of a dream
with crystal blues and deeper hues
Of wind and earth and God's own open road.

lyrics by Tish Hinojosa and one of my favorite songs.

No comments: