1. Coffee and frozen pizzas can be made on a BBQ grill. Hmmm, I hadn't tried this one!
2. No matter how many times you flick the switch, lights don't work without electricity. I finally stopped flipping light switches three days after the storm.
3. My car gets 23.21675 miles per gallon, EXACTLY (you can ask the people in line who helped me push it). Thank goodness, I had a full tank of gas and didn't have to resort to this.
4. Kids can survive 4 days or longer without a video game controller in their hand. Don't have any kids so not sure on this one but sure do miss the mouse on my computer!
5. Cats are even more irritating without power. No cats here, just my Chi and thankful for his company on these powerless nights.
6. He who has the biggest generator wins. Yep, this one is right on the money!
7. Be nice to your neighbors, you may need to borrow their utilities some day. Absolutely!
8. A new method of non-lethal torture- showers without hot water. Again, this one didn't apply to me.
9. There are a lot more stars in the sky than most people thought. Yes, there are! I just wish the mosquitos would go away so we could enjoy the views.
10. TV is an addiction and the withdrawal symptoms are painful. I can do without TV, but having to live without internet has been painful.
11. A 7 lb bag of ice will chill 6-12 oz Drinks to a drinkable temperature in 11 minutes, and still keep a 14 lb. turkey frozen for 8 more hours. No turkeys in my ice chest!
12. There are a lot of dang trees around here! Lots of trees sure got a wacking thanks to Mother Nature and the winds of Hurricane Ike.
13. Flood plain drawings on some mortgage documents were seriously wrong. Thankfully, this did not apply to me--this time BUT I am going to buy flood insurance very soon!
14. Aluminum siding, while aesthetically pleasing, is definitely not required. I'll hang onto my wood shingles for sure!
15. Crickets can increase their volume to overcome the sound of 14 generators. I wish I could hear the crickets....all I've heard is dogs barking incessantly!
16. People will get into a line that has already formed without having any idea what the line is for. Especially at Home Depot and Lowes!
17. When required, a Lincoln Continental will float, doesn't steer well but floats just the same.
18. Tele-marketers function no matter what the weather is doing. My phone didn't work for the longest time and so I missed on these guys!
19. Cell phones work when land lines are down, but only as long as the battery remains charged. Keeping mine charged was a challenge!
20. 27 of your neighbors are fed from a different transformer than you, and they are quick to point that out! Still waiting for any neighbor in my area to have power!
21. If my store sold only ice, chainsaws, gas and generators... I'd be rich. Need to add batteries to the list!
22. Price of a can of soup rises 200% in a storm. No soup here! Too darn hot!
23. Tree service companies are under appreciated. I wisely invested $$ months ago for tree service in my backyard!
24. I learned what happens when you make fun of another states' blackout.
25. MATH 101: 30 days in a month, minus 6 days without power equals 30% higher electric bill ? ???? Sad but true, this morning's paper stated that the power company will most likely raise prices to makeup for what they've lost!
26 Drywall is a compound word, take away the "dry" part and it's worthless.
27. I can walk a lot farther than I thought.
28. Vienna Sausage is only part of the major food groups during a Hurricane. NO VS for me!
29. According to the scale, calories consumed during a Hurricane do indeed count. For reals!
The above was sent to me via email! Yes, finally getting around to answering emails, flickring, and catching up on the happenings of the past week and a half. Day 11 and still no power. Thus, Lessons Learned from Hurricane Ike to be continued on Part 2.