Saturday, March 31, 2007

"Flamenco Opera"


Lila Downs
Originally uploaded by mRio.
Mario & I were witness to an amazing performance by Lila Downs last Sunday and we're still talking about that amazing concert @ Miller Outdoor Theatre! I was blown away as her music has to be experienced by attending one of her concerts. She's been touring extensively the past few months and thankfully made a stop for the Divinas Concert as noted in Houston Press. In May, her tour will take her to Spain and if you're in Spain-GO! I wish I could!

3 comments:

mario said...

She was wonderful!!

Adam Solomon said...

Flamenco opera, eh? I'd love to hear you say more about that - I just saw my first opera a couple of weekends ago at the Met and I was thinking how well the style would lend itself to flamenco, flamenco singers replacing the opera singers, bulerĂ­as and fandangos instead of arias, etc. I think it'd work well - what was your flamenco opera like?

Luz said...

@Adam: "Flamenco opera" were not my words but borrowed from an article. It's hard to describe her music but I did find it interesting that they described it as such. More like a Mexican/Spanish opera of sorts. She has a very ecclectic band and one musician lights up the stage with his harp playing. I have never heard a harp played like that. Additionally, Lila plays a mean guitar.

BTW, good luck on turning the music this Friday. Looking forward to hearing the end results that will be posted on your blog.