Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Passing Storm


Hurricane Rita Radar
Originally uploaded by nieve44.
Well looks like Texas might be getting a very unwanted visitor in the next 72 hours. There's a sense of urgency in the city today but as I walked my dog this evening and looked up at the nightsky there was a calm in the air. A calm before the passing storm! I've started my making my list and gathering things and this morning I stopped at three local grocery stores to buy water. The first two are somewhat upscale in the chain of grocery stores here in Houston and there was no water to be found. Alas, I stop at another grocery store near downtown which is a little less upscale and let's say tends to invite a myriad of rift raft customers. Plenty of water to be found and the aisle virtually empty of customers! However, the beer aisle was much busier and the shelves much more bare. At the checkout lane I noticed the lady behind me gathering her loose change to buy a pint of Foster's Ale for the road...at 10:00 in the morning!

6 comments:

Borya said...

Was it really that less decades and centuries back that people settled at the gulf of Mexico? Hardly anybody seems to safe anywhere nowadays.

Early October Rebekka Bakken concert in Innsbruck at the Treibhaus again. Bakken is from Norway and a Jazz singer. See u there.

Just Me said...

all a matter of priorities, i guess. in bad times people tend to drink more beer than water.

thinking of you, and wishing you luck. it must be such a feeling of helplessness.

Junniper, MPA said...

I thought of you this morning! I hope all goes well!

Wendy said...

luz..hopefully something was learned from Katrina. It must feel stressful just waiting...I will be thinking of you and hope for your safety!

Borya said...

looks like a tough Friday night is coming up. will ur house be in a safe area?

Luz said...

Borya...yes, so far in the past the house has been fairly safe. I'm actually going to my parents house in a few hours. Just packing up the rest of my belongings and heading over there. A small sigh of relief in that the storm seems to have shifted further east! Still, it will be a fairly rough and long night ahead. Thanks to all for comments and prayers as certainly those in the eye of the storm will surely need it. Let's hope I catch all of you again fairly soon.