Sunday, September 10, 2006

Solemn

Solemn
Solemn,
originally uploaded by nieve44.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last week, I came across Junniper's Blog-"Five Years Later" and it got me thinking about that solemn day. In some ways, it feels like eons ago and in some ways it feels just like yesterday. I was watching "The Today Show" as I do every weekday morning and heard them break live to show photos of the towers. At that moment, I just thought another airplane accident had happened. There was a caller on the phone talking to the two hosts while they were showing live photos of the Tower 1 when I heard her say, "Oh my God, another plane hit" and you could actually see the object hitting the tower. The moment the towers collaspsed my knees began to shake so bad that I sat down on the edge of my bed. At that moment, I really believed the world was coming to an end! I immediately began thinking of my friends in New York and Jane (my current roomate) who was flying in from the West Coast. After a few tense hours and several calls, all were fine-thank goodness.

However, I worried about one special friend (former roomate)-Corinne for you see she is a Medical Examiner in NYC. She, like the rest in her field had the grim task of dealing with the aftermath. Her family was worried about her for she had been working non-stop for several days but Corinne being the professional that she is persevered.

Monday, will be a difficult day for all Americans but persevere we must. Each of us will have our own solemn way of remembering 9/11. I plan on stopping by a church and lighting a candle followed by prayers for faith, hope, love and peace.

BTW, ironically two weeks ago-Corinne's husband was shipped out to Germany as he is a reservist in the U.S. Army. My thanks to him and all those who have sacraficed by serving our country since that September day.

2 comments:

bella said...

Great reflection.

Junniper, MPA said...

Yes, thanks to Corinne's husband and the other men and women out there. I think it's always important to remember that no matter your views on our wars or foreign policies, we must always support our troops.